Mexico, Monterrey West Mission

Mexico, Monterrey West Mission

Monday, March 5, 2012

Week One! Still in Monterrey and a Baptism!

Hello Everyone!!! Well, it's sure heated up this week. I hope the weather is looking better over there. Well, we had an awesome week - to highlight the changes, all the companionships in the district changed except for us. I am comfortable with how things are right now so it all works out. I thought about it and I don't think I have told about my companion yet so here's a few of the details.  He's from Peru, has 3 brothers and 4 sisters, all are members. 21 years old and just completed 6 months in the mission. Sunday was his first baptism on the mission so he was super excited!

About the baptism, it was about 3 weeks ago that we were on the way home walking down a street and we noticed a lady having a simple Mexican BBQ in front of her house so we went over and as missionaries we always offer to help, in which we (jokingly) asked if we can help eat whatever she was cooking.  She wasn't to excited to talk with "preachers" but we got some info out of her on the contact, which led us to her son.  His name is Jonathan and is 13 years old. He is friends with one of the members of the church but has only gone to church for mutual so we picked him up for Sunday and he liked it a lot.  After, he wanted to be baptized so we've gotten him prepared in the last few weeks. He is actually very smart and has learned a lot from what we've taught him.  We look forward to helping out the small group of deacons with him.


Well, this week we also had one of those "missionary moments".  One morning we were contacting in the street close by a house of a less active that we had once passed by to visit but never found them. When we were contacting, something just slightly popped in the mind to go back to that house.  We went and found the family that lives there.  All of them are members except for the mom.  Fortunately, we found her there with them.  We didn't stay long, just introduced ourselves and asked if we could pass by tomorrow.  The following day, we showed up and they were all ready and listening.  We found her needs and what she needed to hear and shared it with her.  She went to the baptism of all her family about 5 years ago but she never had the desire to be baptized.  The family has been inactive for about 4 years.  We found out recently that this mother's little handicapped boy of 13 years had recently passed away last May.  The family took it strong but the mother has been completely devastated.  On another occasion, we went when the mom wasn't there and the daughter had told us how hard it was on her mom.  She was constantly bawling and devastated for what happened.  After his death, there were many family members in the hospital as well as two missionaries. These two missionaries gave this sobbing mother a blessing in a private room and left afterwards.  All of the family members were in shock, wondering what the Elders had done to this lady.  She mentioned how, after the blessing, was the first time she had stopped crying in a while.  She told us the mom felt like there was no need to cry, as if she felt everything was alright.  The family can't remember who these Elders were, but they planted a testimony in this mother's heart.  Since then, we recently showed up, told her about the plan her Heavenly Father has for her, and explained how she will be able to return with them.  She has accepted to be baptized and we are in the process of preparing her.   I look forward to this week. We are seeing the Lord's hand in every day. I will also have my first leaders meeting which I'm stoked for! I'll let you know how it goes next week.

Love you all! Elder Warner



HEY MY MADRE!!  How was your week this week? 

Well, dear, you will read about my week in the mass email.  You also asked me what the greatest thing that happened in my week was. I would have to say the little experience we had with this mother. It reminded me of a year ago the incredible experience we had with Martha.  Speaking of which, I recently received a card from her saying she is getting ready for the temple!!!!!  Can you believe that?!! I cannot tell you how excited I am!  And how lucky can I get, that the temple is 15 minutes away on bus from my area.  Well, back to the experience with Martha, I will never forget the voice I so gently heard when whispered in my ear, "This is missionary work".  It truly is the glory of this sacred work.  
Well, also we got a newsletter last week saying that the new Mission Presidents will be coming shortly to be trained in June.  It will be a huge change that I am excited and sad for, at the same time. I have come to love the Mission Presidents I have right now.  Well, I am learning a ton this week.  I will have my first leaders meeting which I hear is very fun!!  I look forward to learning a bunch!! I hope you are all doing extremely well. I am so thankful for the family I have and I pray for you every single day. I am so thankful for the blessings we have in our little family, it's incredible to see the difference in what we have that makes our family what it is.  I love you!  Keep it up, Bryan






No comments:

Post a Comment